Building a deck is one of the best ways to get full use of your outdoor space, but you need to be careful about which material you choose for your deck. Some decking materials, like wood, require a ton of upkeep to ensure they look their best. That’s not the case with vinyl—it’s a relatively low-maintenance option that can be cared for without professional help.
This post from your reliable vinyl deck builders in Santa Clarita, CA will cover the necessary maintenance steps to keep your deck looking its best:
- Sweep: Start off your maintenance duties by sweeping your entire deck with a large push broom. For best results, go against the grain to loosen up as much dirt and debris as possible. You may need to use some elbow grease if it’s been a while, but that’s ok. Your vinyl decking won’t be damaged by a broom.
- Spray: Now that the ground-in grime is loose, get the garden hose and spray down the deck. Feel free to use a spray nozzle to get off as much loose debris as possible. However, we don’t recommend using a power washer—these tools can damage the material if used incorrectly.
- Scrub: Fill a bucket with a mixture of hot water and dish soap. Then, dip a soft-bristled scrub brush in the bucket and scrub the deck following the direction of the grain. You may need to refill the bucket a few times to ensure you’re using the cleanest water.
- Rinse: Leaving the dish soap on your deck isn’t a good idea because it’ll form a film on the surface, so use your garden hose again to get all of that excess soap off. There’s no need to dry it with towels—it will air dry just fine.
- Inspect: While you’re cleaning it off, keep your eyes peeled for anything that looks amiss with your deck. Loose planks, wobbly railings or small cracks are a few of the things to look out for. If you notice anything that looks a little off, call reliable vinyl deck builders in Santa Clarita, CA to make repairs. The longer you wait to make repairs, the worse these issues will be.
How often should this maintenance be performed?
Although the maintenance doesn’t take a ton of time, you don’t need to break out the cleaning supplies every weekend to keep your deck in tip-top shape. Experts recommend performing these maintenance tips at least four times a year. Keeping this routine will ensure your deck looks great and lasts for years without needing any repairs or replacement.
Choose us for your vinyl decking needs!
Your deck should stand the test of time as long as you perform all of the maintenance steps above. But if you need any repairs or a new deck built, hire our pros at Vinyl Professionals, Inc. With years of experience under our belts, we’re the most reliable vinyl deck builders in Santa Clarita, CA. Call our team today to start planning your dream deck!